21 Apr Medical Director COVID-19 Update for the week of 4/20
Dear Colleagues and Stakeholders,
I continue to engage in as much information gathering as possible to monitor the current COVID-10 situation as it pertains to our area and region. As such, the last week has brought the slightest glimpse of hope. New information:
New infections may have peaked, which means the hospital surge will occur any day, if it does occur. Surge would mean every hospital is at 140% capacity. His has not occurred yet but if it does, it should happen in the next 7-14 days.
Total cases will likely continue to increase until some point in June when we will see decrease.
The daily increase in cases in Oklahoma varied between 5% and 1% last week.
With this information, I believe it is prudent to acknowledge the other toll the epidemic: mental illness and substance abuse.
I believe that soon 12&12 will join the front line in the fight by providing great care to those that have seen an increase in substance use because of the loss of connectivity that is so important to good mental health. As such, we continue to adjust our strategy in the following ways:
We have reopened the sobering center in order to treat individuals actively intoxicated and subvert from jail. This is an important step for the city of Tulsa and for our community. In order to be a responsible party in this endeavor, we have implemented the following safeguards:
- All staff in the center are utilizing protective barriers
- All staff screened and temperature taken upon arrival at facility
- All detainees temperature taken upon arrival
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols
- Social distancing practices utilized
We are now going to be taking clients from the statewide waiting list. This will be on a very limited basis this week to minimize the new individuals coming into the facility. I hope to increase the capacity even more next week.
As of today, I hope to remove all restrictions on admissions (wait times/referral source) in two weeks. This will allow us to get through the potential surge (where our bed to be transfers could be most pivotal to our brother medical facilities that will need rapid access to place patients) and also minimize the amount of virus in the community.
All of the recommendations and procedures are made with the upmost effort at the latest information available from state and community entities battling this crisis. I hope you recognize the diligence our facility is taking to strike the balance of patient safety and community need. In the meantime, should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Jason Beaman, D.O., M.S., M.P.H., FAPA