11 May Medical Director Update 5/3
Another week has gone by and not much has changed in the way of COVID actions/activities at 12&12. I see this as good news because it means we are not having to make frequent adjustments as we have implemented as many precautions as possible. Some news for this week:
- A re-opening plan has been approved by administration and should be released to employees soon.
- We have tested many people for COVID and have not had any positives. This demonstrates that our screening procedures are working at identifying potential individuals at risk. More importantly, it demonstrates how great the staff of 12&12 are at adhering to and implementing environmental precautions. This is an incredible achievement that highlights how much the employees at 12&12 care about the people we serve.
- We are notifying clients on admission of the need to wear a mask for 7 days and quarantine precautions for those that screen positive. Most clients have been incredibly generous in their compliance. Unfortunately, some clients have not. We attempt to work with these clients to understand how important it is. However, because of our commitment to a safe environment for employees and clients, if they do not, they are immediately discharged. I’m happy to report that this is not often used.
- I will be drafting an Infectious Disease Level System over the next two weeks. It is apparent that COVID is not going anywhere soon. There may be future spikes based on global, national, and local factors. Therefore, the facility should always be operating in the mode of precaution relevant to local data. One of the hallmarks of 12&12 is the ability to foreshadow events and prepare. Therefore, we do not want to limit this to COVID, as future influenza or other infectious diseases could have similar requirements. This will allow the facility and community to readily ascertain what level of precautions are in place at 12&12.
- As we are in a more stable operating arena, I will only be providing updates every other week for the foreseeable future. In the meantime, I’m happy to address any concerns.
I sincerely want to thank you all for the commitment to 12&12 and to allowing us to serve those most at need.
Jason Beaman D.O., M.S., M.P.H., FAPA
Medical Director, 12&12, Inc.